Need help?

+90 531 968 18 00



J1 Visa Basics

The J-1 visa in the United States is for people who wish to take part in work-and-study-based exchange and visitor programs in the U.S. These programs are sponsored by an educational or other nonprofit institution, which must be accredited through the Exchange Visitor Program designated by the U.S. State Department. J-1 exchange visitors come to the United States to teach, study, receive training, or demonstrate special skills. The J1 visa is meant for students who need practical training that is not available to them in their home country, and the training must be directly related to their academic program.

Intern Program

These programs allow foreign professionals to receive training in their occupational field in the US.

Interns must be Turkish nationals who are currently enrolled in a Turkish degree or certificate granting post-secondary institution outside the US or who graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months before his/her program’s start date. Participants must be at least 18 years old, and must have their English skills evaluated or verified by a recognized English language test, by signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school, or through an in-person interview conducted by the sponsor, or by video conference or webcam.

v Interns must be Turkish nationals:

  • Who are currently enrolled in and pursuing studies at a Turksih degree- or certificate-granting post-secondary academic institution outside the United States; or
  • Who have graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months prior to their exchange visitor program start date.

Summer Work Travel Category

College and university students at Turkish universities gain first-hand experience as they work in seasonal or temporary jobs and travel in the United States during their summer.


To take part in one of the J-1 Visa programs, locate and contact a designated sponsor.

The designated sponsors supervise the application process and are the main point of contact throughout the exchange program process.

a.   What documents are needed to apply for an Exchange Visitor Visa?

  • Form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility) issued by your program sponsor
  • Other supporting documents – check the specific embassy or consulate website
  • Passport valid for travel to the United States
  • Completed Online Form DS-160, nonimmigrant visa application
  • Fee receipt showing payment of visa application fee
  • 2×2 photograph, meeting format requirements

b.   About DS-2019

The Form DS-2019 or “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status" is the basic document used in the administration of the exchange visitor program.

This form permits a prospective exchange visitor to seek an interview at Us Embassy or consulate in order to obtain a J visa to enter the United States.

The Form DS-2019 identifies the exchange visitor and their designated sponsor and provides a brief description of the exchange visitor’s program, including the start and end date, category of exchange, and an estimate of the cost of the exchange program.

c.    How can I obtain a Form DS-2019?

Designated sponsors are authorized to issue this form to prospective exchange visitors they have screened and selected for participation in the exchange visitor program. The information in this form is completed by the sponsor prior to being given to the participant, who once given the DS-2019, can apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate for the J-1 visa.

Issuance of the J-1 visa, like all non-immigrant visas, is at the discretion of Consular Officers viewing visa applications at U.S. embassies and consulates. This means that even if you are accepted to an exchange visitor program and have received your DS-2019, the Consular Officers decide if you receive the J-1 visa.

 d.   DS-160

Embassies and Consulates require applicants to complete this online form before setting up an appointment for a visa interview. Please note that, because the information requested in the form is about you and your family, Getty staff will not be able to help you in this regard.

e.   How long before my Exchange Visitor Program starts can I arrive in the United States?  How long can I remain after my program ends?

You may not arrive more than 30 days before the program start date shown on your DS-2019.  Upon completion of your exchange program, you have a grace period of 30 days to depart the United States.

Participant Experiences

Participants discover firsthand the J-1 Visa's enriching cross-cultural opportunity to gain mutual understanding of diverse backgrounds and customs.

a.   Paid Internships

A J-1 holder will work 40 hours a week for the internships registered with sponsors. He will be paid 560$ on weekly basis. Accommodation will also be provided by the sponsor.

b.   How can I work for an employer other than the program sponsor?

A J-1 holder may only perform the activity listed on his/her Form DS-2019, or as provided for in the regulations for the specific category for which entry was obtained and with the approval of the Sponsor’s Responsible or Alternate Responsible Officer.

 c.    Can I apply for an extension?

Yes, your program sponsor may extend your program up to its maximum length. If an extension is granted, a new Form DS-2019 will be issued to you reflecting the change.

How EACSP Will help you

Our mission is to encourage young people from a variety of cultures and backgrounds to take advantage of the extraordinary benefits of international exchange. Through travel, work

experience and the sharing of ideas and perspectives, Spirit participants gain a better understanding of themselves and the world around them – working together to develop a “spirit” of international peace and understanding.

a.   Sponsors

We will provide only State Department-Designated sponsor who are authorized to issue the Certificate of Eligibility for the Exchange Visitor (J-1) status (Form DS-2019), which is the basic document to support an application for an exchange visitor visa.

 b.   Placements

The program bridges the gap between formal education and practical work experience. We will provide the placements according to the skills of the participants.

 c.    Visa Process

EACSP will interview the participant and recommend the selected participant to the sponsor. We will arrange all the documentation from the sponsors including DS-2019 form.

d.   Travel Arrangements

We will arrange your accommodation before your departure. Expenses of your accommodation will be provided by the sponsor.

Need more information! Write Us

    You can reach our experts at any time and get detailed information.
    +90 531 968 18 00